Re: [IPk] Hypos

Hi Donald
Sorry to hear about your problems - what is your job again? Something to do
with the theatre? Or is that Vic?
Yes, I think it's very important that people at work understand how having
diabetes affects you. Often people have met someone else with diabetes and
have some prior expectations. For example, one of my colleagues used to work
with someone who was always passing out at work, or not turning up, or going
home ill, because he had great difficulty controlling his diabetes, and she
couldn't understand why I wasn't like that too. Alternatively, people see
someone with diabetes coping normally, and don't realise that it's not that
easy for everyone. I had a few runins with my boss when I first started
working here, because I react very badly to stress and having to do things at
the last minute, and it sends my control wild, which doesn't help my mood or
performance. Eventually I sat down and explained to him that I would work
much better if he gave me warning about things that needed doing, and didn't
throw everything on me at the last minute, so I could schedule things to suit
how I was feeling. Trying to do stuff at the last minute when your BG is 3 or
13 is not productive in my case! Once he was aware of this, things got much
better as he realised that I was less stressed, so that made his life easier,
and the work got done more efficiently. Of course, it helps if you have an
understanding boss, but sometimes people are "not understanding" jsut because
they're not aware of how best ot deal with the situation. Sorry if that's a
bit longwinded but hopefully you see what I mean. Of course, it's not
possible in all jobs, but I'm lucky in that I can pretty much work when I
want as long as things get done in time for any deadlines and I show up to
any important meetings. I often come into work early, go out in the afternoon
for a few hours, and then come back and work in the evening, because that's
the most productive way for me.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you get on.