Re: [IPk] update on A1c and ketones

In message <email @ redacted>, Karen
Hanna Kruzycka <email @ redacted> writes
>How do I find out the carb value of alcohol? Specifically, I like a bottle
>of Bud every now and again. I actually find that I need about 3 units (I'm
>on MDI) to cope with this, but that's through lots of trial and error
>(hic). I realise that alcohol lowers BG but if I don't take any insulin I
>wake with a high BG. :(  What about red wine? white wine? cider? how do I
>find this out without getting disapproved of?

The only way that seems to work is directly contacting the
manufacturers.  Someone posted here some values they'd found for ciders

But, given that alcohol is tricky stuff, due to it's inter-action with
the liver, I think that the only safe way is to experiment - do it in
controlled conditions (i.e. after the same kind of day, with exactly the
same meal), and measure every 1/2 hour or hour, and a couple of times
during the night.

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 1+, mine's a cider ...
Pat Reynolds