[IPk] Some random thoughts

This mail is going to be a whole lot of random rubbish that probably doesn't
relate to anything, but I want to say it all anyway!

First up, after my previous diasterous experience, I went back on the pump on
Monday. I wiash I could say so far so good, but I'm not too sure. I've had
randomly erratic blood sugars all day (varying between 2.9 and 19.5) I can't
help but think "this isn't how its meant to be" I spoke to my DSN earlier and
asked her if pumping ever just doesn't work our for some people. She said shes
never known it (and shes worked with a lot of pumpers) Maybe I'm just a first.
I guess I do like to be different!

I was wondering if anyone here uses Quick sets. I had a problem this morning
after I disconnected for a shower that I couldn't get the little plastic ring
on. I couldn't get the set back on either and ended up getting very frustrated
and having to change it. Even when I fiddled round with it after I'd taken it
out, I still couldn't get the two parts together. The various grooves for bits
to slide in just didn't seem to line up. Anyone any idea whats going on?

All the recent talk about hypos and seizures has got me thinking about an old
problem. I have epilepsy, which in the last eighteen months has been a
nightmare to control (hence the break from my training to be a dentist. An
epileptic seizure plus a high speed drill? I don't think so!) Touch wood, its
pretty much under control right now. I've always wondered how someone wold
tell the difference between a hypoglycaemic seizure and an epileptic one. I'm
sure I've had glucagon (and the ensuing unpleasant side effects) several times
in the last year completely unecessarily. As an example, and without wishing
to speak ill off anyone at my diabetes clinic, I once had a seizure in the
clinic which they treated with glucagon despite being aware of my epilepsy. A
doctor later told me that my blood sugar had been 3.9 when they tested it.
Surely 3.9 would not cause a seizure. I have blood sugars of 3.9 without
having seizures.

And then theres the oposite way of looking at things, that epilepsy makes me
more prone to having seizures with low blood sugars anyway (because my
"seizure threshold" is lower) So perhaps 3.9 in this instance was enough to
give me a seizure, in which case perhaps I do need glucagon all these times.
Which then makes me worry about what might happen if I don't get it.

And then, just to get even more confusing I start wondering which condition
affects the other more. Is diabetes making my epilepsy worse (i.e the hypos
are making me have more seizures) Or is epilepsy somehow affecting my diabetes
(besides making me have seizures when I might not otherwise) I recently had a
hypo requiring glucagon where my sugar was off the bottom of my meter's scale,
but (apparently) no seizure. My epilepsy is currently well controlled, so what
does that suggest?

Sorry, I'm just confused. If anyone can make any sense of what I've written,
I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Finally, just to add my thoughts to the genetic debate, I think its important
to remember type 1 and type 2 are essentially different diseases so a history
of one does not mean anything about the liklihood of developing the other. For
example there is a strong history of type 2 in my fathers family, but this has
nothing to do with why I developed type 1 (the only person in my family to
have type 1) As if to illustrate the point that they are not connected, nature
can be cruel enough to give you both conditions. This is seen in type 1
diabetics who suddenly need a large increase in their insulin doses in their
40's or 50's. This is a sign of insulin resistance, the hallmark of type 2

Well, I did warn you before I started....

IDDM 18+yrs Minimed pumper 2 days (+diasterous two weeks!)

Real reason for writing all this may actually be avoidance of exam revision!!