Re: [IPk] Genetics

Melissa you wrote

> I have thought about whether I would want testing to see whether a
> particular embryo carried the 'susceptibility' gene for type 1 if I were
> pregnant someday. I've decided that if such a test were available, I
> wouldn't have it done. If the current scientific thinking holds, the chance
> that a child would develop diabetes even if he/she carried the genes for it
> would still depend on factors beyond my (or anyone else's) control. Other
> things, like asthma or rheumatoid arthritis, could still be part of the
> genetic profile. Is asthma 'less bad' than diabetes?  What if one embryo
> carried the markers for asthma _and_ arthritis, and another just had the one
> for diabetes? Which would I choose? At least I already know something about
> diabetes--but how much should that affect the decision? The slippery slope
> gets steep fast. (Can y'all tell I did some ethics in the past ;> ?)
> Ultimately, we can control our own destinies and those of our loved ones
> only so far. Sometimes we just have to play the hands we're dealt.

Both of my twins have asthma and another of my  older daughters too.  Many
children on another children's/parents D support list have children with both
conditions.  I developed rheumatoid arthritis at the same time at Sasha was
developing diabetes.  All these are autoimmune conditions and all pretty
closely linked.  Unfortunately if you have an autoimmune condition you are
more susceptible to developing others to like thyroid problems.  So as you say
it would be very hard to rule them all out.  Anyway fortunately my twins seem
pretty healthy at present and rarely have time off school.  Sasha's asthma got
much better after she got diabetes.  I dont think this is why the asthma is
better though!

> My current plan to have one child of my own (hopefully in the next 10
> years--I need to get out more!) is based on my desire to have as much
> control over my health and that of the baby as possible: I hope to follow
> the recommendations about keeping terrific blood sugars for a year before
> getting pregnant and then for a few months post-partum. What takes most
> women 9 months will take me 18 or so.  Maybe I'll be 'lucky' and have twins
> or something; otherwise I'm thinking I might adopt a second child.

Good luck with the future plans then.  Twins are wonderful but hard work.
Hard enough with your first child anyway, twins would be very hard to deal
with.

Jackie
Mum of gorgeous twins
Well most of the time anyway!