Re: [IPk] Genetics

Hi Babs,

Certainly many women with diabetes have had healthy babies--the US
recommendations are in place because, at least in the US, women with
diabetes have tended to have larger babies and have tended to give birth
prematurely. Some American researchers have been investigating whether
children of women whose blood sugars are not especially well-controlled
during pregnancy have any long-term health problems--until they've got some
conclusions, I'm a fan of erring on the side of caution.

Another reason for wanting to subject myself to the recommendations is sort
of perversely selfish: I've heard being pregnant isn't pleasant (morning
sickness, etc.), and if really tight control will at least mitigate it, I'm
all for it. Of course, I'm also a bit of a control freak: if my pregnancy
were quite complicated because of diabetes, or if I got a warning that I
might be putting the baby's health at risk, I'd be terribly frustrated.

Some of my HbA1cs have been better than others since I got a pump (I've had
A1cs from 6.5 to 7.9 in the past 6 years), but my quality of life has been
terrific! Something that's come up before on the list is that I went to
university early and went through puberty kinda late (16). I got my first
pump (a MiniMed 506) after my first year of university, when I was 15
(1996). I was away from home most of the time (and quite independent, though
not rebellious) by the time my blood sugars went haywire because of hormonal
changes, &etc. The flexibility offered by my pump made my hectic student
schedule much more bearable, and the tumult of puberty was much less
stressful than it might have been. When I switched from using buffered R in
my pump to Humalog, life got even nicer!

My first diabetologist told me when I was 12 that he wouldn't put me on a
pump until I had finished puberty, but my diabetes nurse prevailed upon him
and I got my pump sooner. Next thing I heard, the doctor had put a 12
year-old on a pump and was considering putting a 10 year-old on one because
I was doing so well.  Based on my experience, I endorse considering pumps
before puberty. As some parents on the list can tell you better than I can
(Andrew?), if kids can test their own bgs and take their own insulin, they
can probably handle pumping (caveat: as with anything else in life, if
someone doesn't want a pump, he/she will probably not do well with it).

All the best,

IDDM 8 years; MiniMed pumper almost 6; avoiding working on my master's
thesis that's due on Friday for almost 2 hours!!