RE: [IPk] Genetics

Hi Liam

I am the only person in my family with type 1 (or 2)
diabetes.  I have had diabetes for 25 years and remain
(fingers crossed) complication free.  I don't feel is has
affected my life except perhaps to make me more determind.  I
have 2 children so far diabetes-free (more crossing of
fingers)aged 6 and 4.  I did research the chances of my
having diabetic child and as far as I recall the chances of a
diabetic mother having a child who goes on to develop
diabetes is only slighly greater than that of a non-diabetic.
The chance was slighly higher with a diabetic father as I

I have a freind who has a diabetic child who developed
diabetes at age 2.  There is no diabetes in their family.
Life is a lottery.  Who better to steer a diabetic child
towards a complication-free (but enjoyable) life that a
diabetic parent who has tried everything and emerged the
wiser for it?

IDDM 25 yrs 508 11 months

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist