Re: [IPk] treating hypoglycaemia

I have found the page in the book that says this. page 48.  Treating
Hypoglycaemia:

Quote from paragraph:

Remember that the glucose in food can only be absorbed into the blood after
passing from the stomach to the intestine.  Glucose cannot be absorbed from
the oral mucous membrane  (166) or the stomach.  Glucose given rectally does
not raise the blood glucose level in children (8) or adults (22).

Ref: in back says:

Gunning R Garber A.  Bioactivity of Instant Glucose - Failure of absorption
through the oral mucosa.  JAMA
1978;240 1611 - 12.

I dont know if it is true or not.  After reading this a year or so back I did
wonder if Hypo Stop rubbed into the cheek or gums did any good.  We used a lot
of this when we suspected that Sasha has coeliac disease and she kept having
hypo's due to non absorption of food due to the gut damage caused by gluten.
It didnt seem to help rubbing it into her cheek gums etc.  We had to resort to
glucagon injections.  We then always tried to get her to swallow it (she
wasn't unconscious at the time) just almost.  On other occasions hypo stop
didnt seem to work even if swallowed until it had passed into what I assume to
have been a less damaged part of the intestine.  When she had stomach upsets
(unrelated to the coeliac) it certainly didnt seem to work.  Her stomach was
often full of undigested food and juice, not going anywhere and the hypostop
didnt work either by swallowing it, or rubbing it into her gums.  So that
meant a trip to the hospital.  So it appears to me that there is some doubt
that Hypo Stop can be absorbed though the oral mucosa.

Jackie