Re: [IPk] Funding - Edinburgh

>From: Alison Orchard <email @ redacted>
>To: email @ redacted
>Subject: Re: [IPk] Funding - Edinburgh
>Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 21:24:37 +0100
>A friend of mine was in a similar position - her hospital said they were
>withdrawing funding when the system changed from Primary care groups to
>primary care trusts, although reading between the lines I think they
>were just trying to get out of paying and getting someone else to foot
>the bill.  Anyway, she contacted her MP who was very helpful and as a
>last resort got the newspapers involved!  This worked a treat and now
>the funding has been reinstated - but from which purse of the NHS is
>In message <email @ redacted>, Susan
>Morrow <email @ redacted> writes
> >Hi Everyone
> >
> >I have been using an insulin pump since June 2001. I was very lucky that
> >my dad paid for the pump as there was no funding available from my GP or
> >hospital. The clinic at the hospital has helped pay for consumables
> >since then through a charitable trust. I was pretty disappointed to
> >receive a letter this morning to let me know that I will not be able to
> >get any more help. There is only a limited amount of money and they have
> >decided to help out new pump users which seems fair enough. My problem
> >is that I now have to pay for all the consumables which financially, I
> >will really struggle with. I really do not want to give up the pump but
> >at the same time I don't want to get myself into financial problems.
> >I am going to write to the health authority to ask for help and wondered
> >if anyone else had tried this in Edinburgh, Any helpful hints would be
> >very welcome. Also does anyone know if there are plans to make
> >consumables available on prescription at all? It makes me mad that
> >something which has improved my control and therefore has decreased my
> >chance of developing complications is such a struggle to obtain. If I
> >develop complications due to poor control as a result of sub-optimal
> >therapy would I have to pay for treatment? I hope not.
> >Any suggestions would be very welcome.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Susan

Hi Susan

I'm so sorry that your funding has been withdrawn and I admire your attitude
regarding the Charities position.

Were you in hospital several times prior to going on pump therapy?  has this
improved since going on to the pump?  If so, you could try hitting the
Health Trust with a price list.  I believe an Ambulance call out is
somewhere in the region of #300 for starters, then the cost of hospital
care, etc etc.  If you could research the prices of this then you may have a
little ammo to justify your claim.  Unfortuantely, our politacal friends can
only see as far as their five year term.  So until they receive a severe
dose of LOGICAL education the fact that you are less likely to suffer from
long term complications doesn't appear to cut much ice at the moment.

As to funding the pump yourself for a while; I have run into difficulties
myself, but haven't been on the pump very long, but I have seen the benefits
already, so I have a good idea where you are coing from regarding "sub -
optimal treatment"

Using the can be a good tactic, but it also invites public opinion (refer to
IPK DLA) and that can be very mixed and there is also the vague possibility
that it could work to your disadvantage.  This does depend on your personal
choice and how you perceive your privacy.

I wish you well and hope it all works out for you very soon.