[IPk] Funding - Edinburgh

Hi Everyone

I have been using an insulin pump since June 2001. I was very lucky that
my dad paid for the pump as there was no funding available from my GP or
hospital. The clinic at the hospital has helped pay for consumables
since then through a charitable trust. I was pretty disappointed to
receive a letter this morning to let me know that I will not be able to
get any more help. There is only a limited amount of money and they have
decided to help out new pump users which seems fair enough. My problem
is that I now have to pay for all the consumables which financially, I
will really struggle with. I really do not want to give up the pump but
at the same time I don't want to get myself into financial problems.
I am going to write to the health authority to ask for help and wondered
if anyone else had tried this in Edinburgh, Any helpful hints would be
very welcome. Also does anyone know if there are plans to make
consumables available on prescription at all? It makes me mad that
something which has improved my control and therefore has decreased my
chance of developing complications is such a struggle to obtain. If I
develop complications due to poor control as a result of sub-optimal
therapy would I have to pay for treatment? I hope not.
Any suggestions would be very welcome.