Re: [IPk] school from hell (was DLA)

Dear Jackie,

I do worry about the picture you paint - although I accept that your
daughters go to one of the better schools (heaven help those who

The bottom line is that diabetes is a condition which needs managing
24/7.  As others (?Carmel) have argued, it is one of your
responsibilities as parents to ensure that your daughter learns how to
do that herself.  But just because someone is learning how to do
something doesn't mean that they are doing it. The fact that a teacher
is responsible for 31 others doesn't mean that they are not responsible
for your daughter (personally, I think something should have gone on
that teacher's record for them taking Sasha out of school without her
supplies).  If their workload is too great, they should take it up with
their line manager (i.e. ask for your child to be removed from their
class, or ask for the rest of the class to be removed down to a handle-
able number).  I think your idea of having a classroom assistant who
will take responsibility for diabetes management while you are absent is

And yes, I am prepared to pay more taxes so that diabeetic children (and
children with other special needs) can have access to education.

Best wishes,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)