Re: [IPk] school from hell (was DLA)

Hello Jackie

We have been in touch many times about our children (Danielle and me both
diabetic).  I was told that teachers are not authorised to give injections
and that it is up to us mums or dads to go into the school to do it or the
school have to phone an ambulance.

The worst thing is that I have just been told by Danielle's doctor that I
have been endangering her life by trying to give her something orally when
she has not been conscious.  It's a long story, but when Danielle was
fitting, I gave her the hypostop by rubbing it into the inside of her cheek
and some of it was going down her throat.  He told me that I should have
given her glucagon if she was fitting.  I went to the diabetes team and told
them that I didn't like the doctor talking over me and not listening to what
I had to say.  I explained what I meant and was told that I was doing it
wrong!  I couldn't believe it!  I have grown up with diabetes in the family
and I have brought my past knowledge along with the new things to help in the
treatment of my daughter.  The thing is - I knew enough so I thought and so
the team thought - so I didn't need to be told absolutely everything there
was to know and I treated Danielle's hypos as my mum used to treat me and my
sister years ago.

I am due to go to the school again shortly to see if they fully understand
what a hypo is and what 'unconscious' is because I was unaware of the