Re: [IPk] RE: DLA

Dear All,

One theory of disability (the 'social model' - the one which is now
commonly accepted, at least in the rhetoric) says that disability lies
not in the individual, but in society.  Thus an individual is not
disabled because they use a wheel chair, or have to inject insulin, or
don't see well enough to be safe driving a car, but because we have
permitted buildings which are accessed by stairs, we have voted for an
education system which thinks it is OK to take a child away from the
monitors and food it needs, we have not devoted our energies to building
a fully accessible public transport system.

I think Melissa is right: diabetes does not disable her.  But I think we
have we have built a society which disables people with diabetes.

jms126 pointed out that 'none of us would like to be called disabled,
... the word is offensive and demeaning' The word is used to mean
'worthless', and 'unacceptable' (let us not forget who Hitler's first
targets for extermination were).  Diabetics do have the option of saying
'I'm not disabled', but I have personally chosen rather than to
dissociate myself with the term, to wear it with pride.  (Yes, there is
a disability pride movement, paralleling the gay pride and black pride

But this is just the way _I_ read the world.

Best wishes to all whether you claim you are not disabled, disabled by
society, disabled by diabetes, or disabled by something else: our
diversity is something to be valued!

differently insulined (I just thought of that as a new euphemism, should
diabetes become too closely associated with disability for the comfort
of some!) 30+, 508 1+, ticked the 'multiple disabilities' box on the
university form, have no doubt that I have no children ...
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)