Far from it Julian, my point was that I would have felt a lot worse if I had
thought money was being claimed on my behalf for my"DISABILITY". It was
obligatory to buy expensive "Diabetic" foods in those days we had to travel
to a hospital miles away as our local hospital did not treat diabetic
children. Yes we had a hard time but I certainly was taught take
responsibility for my lifelong condition from an early age.

Hi Carmel

I do respect your opinion, but I don't share it.

Personally, if my child had an illness such as diabetes and I didn't make use of everything, Including financial that was available, I would never forgive myself.
I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but not at the risk of making someone feel guilty for doing the best they can for their child.  If current day pump therapy had been available when I was a child and my mum hadn't claimed DLA if it was available and I suffered as a result of poor control.  I'm not sure I would have forgiven her.
I think one of the problems in this topic is that everyone (myself included) is looking at their own circumstances and expecting everyone else to live by those standards.