[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [IPk] RE: DLA



>From: "Tony O'Sullivan" <email @ redacted>
>Reply-To: email @ redacted
>To: <email @ redacted>
>Subject: Re: [IPk] RE: DLA
>Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 19:16:57 +0100
>
>People I find this discussion interesting and a little disturbing. It's
>causing some polarising of views, and what is rather sad is that that is 
>the
>policy of your government! Think about it, we have no reason to place
>obstacles in the way of a parent who wants to obtain state help to support
>their child, with or without diabetes. The comparison with child benefit is
>relevant; even those who definitely do not need it, still accept it.
>
>What causes some difficulty is that the DLA is a DISABILITY allowance! 
>We're
>not disabled, we're normal, so why should we, or our parents if we are 
>kids,
>get anything that separates us from the 'normal' population, either a good
>thing like this benefit, or a bad thing like discrimination? However, both
>exist, and we should fight the bad, and encourage the good, because 
>anything
>that gives us an edge is a good thing!
>
>The UK Government, when designing these benefits, uses emotive titles which
>they could avoid, exactly because this grates on the nerves of many
>potential recipients and acts as a deterrent to claiming it. Every
>government does this, in fact the UK have done more than most to reverse
>this benefit negativity. So before anyone gets hot under the collar,
>remember it's in the State's interests to make that happen and thus reduce
>people's access to this help. But is that FAIR? I don't think so. I say 
>live
>and let live, and let's all work together to beat the real enemy,
>discrimination, poor resourcing of healthcare, and diabetes!
>
>Tony O'Sullivan
>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Julian Woodley" <email @ redacted>
>To: <email @ redacted>
>Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 6:42 PM
>Subject: [IPk] RE: DLA
>
>
> > Carmel, I don't quite understand your point.  Are you saying that 
>because
>as
> > children, we had a hard time, that we should allow similar to happen to
>our
> > children?  I cannot agree with that.  As a parent we have a 
>responsibility
>to
> > ensure that the best that is affordable is available to our children 
>when
>it
> > comes to health and education.  This is a moral as well as practical 
>duty.
> > Therefore if money is
> > available to a parent to acheive that then they do have a duty to claim
>it.
> > This money can help towards the purchase of a pump, or attendance at a
> > diabetic holiday camp not to mention other expenses that may arise in
>relation
> > to the diabetes.
> > ----------------------------------------------------------
> > for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
> > help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
>----------------------------------------------------------
>for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
>help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml

Tony, I find your comments very fair and not one sided.  I think they may 
enlighten us all.  I find your comment about "Emotive Titles" paticularly 
enlightning.  I had never looked at it from that angle before.

Julian




_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com
----------------------------------------------------------
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml