Re: [IPk] DLA

> Sorry, I forgot to add a comment.  If parents of IDDM children
> received DLA they may be able to afford pump therapy which will give
> the child a better quality of life and help prevent later in life
> complications.  The end result is a much reduced hospital bill for
> the health service.

I read a study a few months ago that docmented expenses for MDI
patients vs pump patients on an annual basis. They found that on
average, medical costs for patients on injection therapy ran around
$24,000 US, including hospital ER visits and about HALF of that for
pump patients including all their supplies. The difference was almost
entirely due to the reduction in ER visits.