Re: [IPk] RE: DLA

People I find this discussion interesting and a little disturbing. It's
causing some polarising of views, and what is rather sad is that that is the
policy of your government! Think about it, we have no reason to place
obstacles in the way of a parent who wants to obtain state help to support
their child, with or without diabetes. The comparison with child benefit is
relevant; even those who definitely do not need it, still accept it.

What causes some difficulty is that the DLA is a DISABILITY allowance! We're
not disabled, we're normal, so why should we, or our parents if we are kids,
get anything that separates us from the 'normal' population, either a good
thing like this benefit, or a bad thing like discrimination? However, both
exist, and we should fight the bad, and encourage the good, because anything
that gives us an edge is a good thing!

The UK Government, when designing these benefits, uses emotive titles which
they could avoid, exactly because this grates on the nerves of many
potential recipients and acts as a deterrent to claiming it. Every
government does this, in fact the UK have done more than most to reverse
this benefit negativity. So before anyone gets hot under the collar,
remember it's in the State's interests to make that happen and thus reduce
people's access to this help. But is that FAIR? I don't think so. I say live
and let live, and let's all work together to beat the real enemy,
discrimination, poor resourcing of healthcare, and diabetes!

Tony O'Sullivan