Carmel, I don't quite understand your point.  Are you saying that because as
children, we had a hard time, that we should allow similar to happen to our
children?  I cannot agree with that.  As a parent we have a responsibility to
ensure that the best that is affordable is available to our children when it
comes to health and education.  This is a moral as well as practical duty.
Therefore if money is
available to a parent to acheive that then they do have a duty to claim it.
This money can help towards the purchase of a pump, or attendance at a
diabetic holiday camp not to mention other expenses that may arise in relation
to the diabetes.