Sorry, I forgot to add a comment.  If parents of IDDM children received DLA they may be able to afford pump therapy which will give the child a better quality of life and help prevent later in life complications.  The end result is a much reduced hospital bill for the health service.  I would welcome children automatically being awarded DLA if parents would use the money for this purpose.  I know sometimes it is not possible for a child to go on a pump.  Even so, there are additional expenses.  Whilst I realise everyone is entitled to their opinion, I question how well researched and informed that opinion is in regard to DLA not being warrented in several cases.  I am inclined to agree with Alison on this one.  From experiences as a child I would say a diabetic child is an expensive child.