I'm sorry everyone, but I feel very concerend about the comments being thrown around about claiming DLA.  A child suffering from diabetes is anything but predictable and the consequences can be quite harsh.  Generally people in this situation qualify for the middle rate care component of DLA. This is because the care is needed on an anticipatory basis.  To those who are casting doubt on the parent of a diabetic being entitled to this money (forgive me if I have misunderstood your meaning) I say this: You say that it should be judged on individual circumstances.  Do any of you who are doubtful about entitlement who have children  refuse to claim your child benefit?