Hi Barbara
While I agree that some people who have children with diabetes should be
entitled to DLA, it doesn't apply to everyone. Some children have few
problems and don't have fits in the night - or even have hypos in the night -
and really don't need any extra care.
I've had DM since I was 7, and never needed any special care that would
warrant my parents getting DLA. They never had to get up in the night to test
my BG, or spend any extra time or money looking after me. They didn't have to
do my injections for me, or test my BG for me or anything. It would have been
just as wrong for them to claim DLA as the person you know whose child has
eczema.  Obviously for younger children they would need someone to do these
things for them. I'm not implying other people shouldn't be entitled to it,
just that it's not a blanket case where everyone with a diabetic child should
be entitled to it.