Re: [IPk] pen vs syringe

In message <000c01c1f2c2$912b5d40$email @ redacted>, Abigail King
<email @ redacted> writes
>In a diabetes textbook ( I think one of the authors is Pickup)
>it actually states that pens aid compliance with intensified insulin therapy.
>I find it hard to believe that someone would omit insulin or opt to stay on a
>regimen that gave them worse control because they would otherwise have to
>perfrom more injections with a syringe.

I think you or Dr Pickup have confused two issues, number of injections
and compliance in taking insulin at the prescribed times.  Many doctors
were confused by this, and thought that a move to mdi was the same thing
as a move to using the pen, and vice versa.  The two things are quite
separate.  Dr Pickup is right, I think, in suggesting that there is a
greater compliance with pen use than with syringe use (however many
injections there are).  The reason lies, I believe, in the pen's non-
medical appearance (so it doesn't remind you, quite as much, that you
are sick/disabled/ill/unnatural/dying/a bad person/being punished for
your wickedness (yes, people really do think these things about being
diabetic)).  Given the choice between denial and acceptance that one is
diabetic, is it any wonder that denial is chosen by so many?

On the number of injections question: well, more injections is more
opportunities to not take them, of course, so denial becomes a more
important issue to deal with.

>I always found the main inconveniance with injections using either method was
>the instability of my blood glucose levels
>I prefer a pen  but lost patience and went back to syringes even after CP
>pharnaceuticals started manufacturing porcine insulin in cartridges as my
>isulatard pen did not seem to be working, which I discovered after a series of
>very high BG readings.The reason for this was that I had been given very
>narrow needles which became blocked with NPH
>No one had thought to warn me of this . I decided I would prefer the
>inconvenience of syringes rather than the inconveniance of deteriorating
And some long acting insulins aren't available in pens at all, for this
reason (perhaps their manufacturers are a little more honest!)

So I used a pen for H, and a syringe for Monotard.

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)