[IPk] Bg & Ketone Meters

MediSense has recently come out with a meter that not only tests blood sugar,
but can also test ketones in a drop of blood. (Pat, take note, since I
believe that you complained about having to carry a tube of urine ketone
sticks around with you.) It is called Optium in the UK and Precision Xtra in
the States. I have been using it for about 9 months and am impressed with its
function. It has a memory of 450 results and can give an average result over
1 week, 2 weeks and 3 weeks. It also has the usual download facility. The
strips are available on prescription from your GP in the UK.

Concerning the variation in repeat Bg tests, one must remember that your
meter is not a laboratory analyser. One should accept that your result is not
an exact reading, but only an estimate of your blood sugar at any given
moment in time. If whenever your test result is unexpected, you should
re-test to confirm that it is indeed correct.