Re: [IPk] pump refilling

In message <email @ redacted>, Diana Maynard
<email @ redacted> writes
>On Mon, 28 May 2001, you wrote:
>> But surely a penfil doesn't have enough insulin in it to fill a syringe
>> and have enough left over to use in emergencies?
>Ah, no, what I meant was to use a vial normally, and a penfill as the spare.
>Then every so often, use the spare in your pump and replace it. The penfill
>just gets carried around for emergencies, and the vial stays at home.
I'm not organized enough for that ... I always forget to replace the
'emergency' #10 note in my credit cards, to change the batteries in my
pocket torch, and so on.

I use the widget thingy, too ... the sticky out bit nearly disembowls me
when making 3-point turns.

>A cartridge fills half a reservoir. I use about 40 units a day on average, so I
>refill about every 3 days (though it doesn't usually coincide with a set
>change, because that's more random - anything from 2-6 days). you do know you
>don't HAVE to refill at the same time as changing the set, don't you? Unless
>you're using non-detachable sets of course. But I'm guessing you do both at
>once so you don't forget to refill.....
I was told DON'T change the reservoir without changing the set.  Also to
change the set every two days  or two + days (i.e. morning to evening or
vice versa).

It's only been a problem once, when I noticed an air bubble, and used a
lot of insulin to get it out (detached, did lots of primes, and
eventually it came out).  That left me with only just enough insulin to
carry me to the next set change.

Best wishes to all,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)