Re: Sticky button syndrome was RE: [IPk] THANKS IRIS

In message <l03130314b73946a629f0@[]>, John Neale
<email @ redacted> writes
>>But surely a penfil doesn't have enough insulin in it to fill a syringe
>>and have enough left over to use in emergencies?
>Pat - I'm not suggesting you refill your pump from a penfill cartridge. I'm
>suggesting you keep the penfill cartridge with you in case your pump breaks
>down - and you've got 6 hours left till you go home (where all your backup
>MDI equipment is quietly waiting in the fridge).

I'm too disorganized to do more than, when the insulin bottle gets low,
instead of throwing it away, taking it downstairs, putting it into my
kit, and throwing away the bottle in the kit.  If I have to remember to
change the penfil cartridge, I won't.

I rarely have less than 18 hrs of insulin in the reservoir - and when I
do it's always more than 12 hrs, and going overnight.  I don't use much
insulin (25-35 units a day, depending on lots of things).
>I personally would never leave the house in the morning if I didn't have
>enough insulin in my pump cartridge to see me through till I got home.
>Insulin usage is fairly predictable - I use between 30 and 40 units a day.
>Flip the door open and if there are less than 20 units left, I do a refill.
>(As Di pointed out, with a detachable infusion set, there's no need to
>change the infusion set at the same time)
>What else do you carry around with you? In addition to a packet of glucose
>tablets, my bg meter (Bayer Esprit/Dex), a finger pricker (Bayer
>SoftTouch), a tub for old bloody test strips, a bit of tissue paper, a
>spare disk of test strips, a spare infusion set (Tenders/Silhouettes are
>*much* smaller than SofSets) - that's about it for a day at work.
The softsets, as you say, are much bigger.  I take two reservois, as
experience has taught me that I do stupid things occasionally, like
dropping them, having the needle fall off before filling, that kind of
thing ... I wish I could use silhouettes, but I'm too scared (having had
one agonizing experience, and one where I honestly had got to the point
where I thought 'if I can't get it out now, I'm going to have to call an

I also have a spare soft-serter (at first, I was relying on being able
to manually insert in an emergency.

I don't have the organization to ensure that I won't leave the main
soft-serter behind.

I also take a tub of ketone sticks.  A bottle of control solution. Spare
batteries for pump.  Spare battery for meter. Usually a spare tub of
test sticks, because I go through so many of the things.

I have a profile meter at the moment, but I'm about to start my
penultimate bottle of sticks, and then start with the pocketscan.  Memo
to self: must get the cable adapter ...

Best wishes

dm 30+, 508 1month+, disorganized for as long as she can remember

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)