Re: [IPk] Bg Meters

I have used Lifescan brand meters for the past 7 years and I have found them
very good.  The customer service is great, but I've rarely needed help.   I
have had a new OneTouch Ultra (probably marketed differently) meter for about
6 weeks now.  I really like it.  It's just a little thicker than the FastTake
(Pocketscan in the UK) that I used to use.   I LOVE the 5-sec. testing time.
My meters have gotten progressively faster: from 45 sec. in 1994 to 5 in 2001.
Really, before I can put my lancet pen down I have the result of a bg test.
How cool is that?!

Other remarks: the Ultra has a data port built into it for easy downloading,
and the tracking software is available for free (as a download from the
Lifescan website: www.lifescan.com).  The 150-test memory and the automatic
averaging function are great (Lifescan has included automatic averaging on
most of its meters since forever).  The little carrying case for the Ultra is
more usable than any carrying case since the one for the OneTouch Profile I
had a few years ago.  Something I liked a lot about the FastTake, and which I
still enjoy with the Ultra, is the very small sample size.  I never had much
trouble getting a big drop of blood for the old meters, but it's not fun to
retest because you didn't get enough blood the first time.  Also, the strips
for the FastTake and the Ultra are much smaller than the strips for the
Profile and the other big OneTouch meters--they take up less space in the
bottom of my handbag ;) .

Something I just learned while checking out the Lifescan company website a few
mins. ago: there's a problem with the Pocketscan of which y'all ought to be
aware: some of the meters will display a funky Y-shaped character when set to
report results in mmol/L.  The Ultra seems not to have the problem, however.
More info at http://www.lifescan.com/lsabout/press/fasttake_letter.html.

Hmm, I can't think of much more to say.  I suppose I need more coffee.  I've
only been up an hour (It's about 8 a.m. here).  Hey, I thought of
something...to all y'all who heard a couple of months ago that I'll be at
Oxford in the fall: I got an offer from Balliol (my first choice) over the
weekend!  Woo-hoo!

M.A. student, Theology
The University of the South
Sewanee, Tennessee

IDDM 7 years; MiniMed pumper 5 years (presently on a blue 507C)Get more from
the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com