Re: [IPk] Care?

Thanks a million to everyone who replied.Emily is usually on Humolog but
the doctor put her on V and said its only temporary this to me seams
pointless as she has only one exam left and its Oral English and she
speaks better english than i do so shes okay now.She realises that she
goes to see the doctor too much she neads to relax and tke control of the
situation for herself.I think she still hasnt realised yet that she is
the professionel as are all diebietics on diabieties,so when the doctor
say something she says okay,hes a doctor hes got to be right,but shes
beguining to see differently thanks to all the support she has and shes
feeling alot better now that she has the dreeded Economics exam over
with.Were looking faward to camping on the coast for the weekend for our
1 year anniversary,finishing her exams and for her best control
ever.Thank you so much for your support.After this week i finish my job
in paris so i wont have as much access to the internet but i will kee! p
in touch and read all mail.Best of luck to everyone.

Yours Sincerely,

Paul & Emily(508 pumper 1month)

>From: Pat Reynolds <email @ redacted> >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: email @ redacted >Subject: Re:
[IPk] Care? >Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 17:04:46 +0100 > >Dear Paul and
Emily, > >The doctor may be right: changing from velosulin to humalog,
which is >much shorter acting, may help her to get balanced more quickly
(but >surely that means H. is the one for her, long term, too ... I don't
know >why he'd want to change her back ... ours not to reason why!). > >I
wonder if the highs are at least partially rebounds or overtreatments? >I
am dutifully treating hypos with 15g of detrose, but am wondering if
>this is too much ... often I go from 3 to over 10. This is with no
>other food. > >Hypos always upset the metabolism, so my old rule was
'after a hypo, >drop the basal' - I guess this might be the rule for the
pump, too. >That is, reduce rates a little for 12 - 24 hours. There is
also my old >rule 'first, get rid of the hypos, then bring down the
highs'. That one >does not go down too well with the current team, who
want to see lower >results - but I want to see a flat line - and I don't
care whether it's >at 7 or 12 - then bring the line down. Good in theory,
but I'm finding >with the increased sensitivity of the pump that I can
tell the >difference between days in which I exercise and don't, and have
>difficulty working out how to deal proactively with the increased
>insulin efficiency. > >The thing which cheers me up on days like this
weekend, when the average >has crept back up, is 'think how bad it would
be without the pump'. > >I think, by the way, Paul, that you are being
very supportive - there >should be a support group just for partners of
people on pumps - it must >be very hard on you, too. > >Best wishes, >
>Pat >dm30+, 508 1m+, 9 basal rates (ranging from 0.1 to 0.7 p/h). >--
>Pat Reynolds >email @ redacted > "It might look a bit messy now,
but just you come back in 500 years time" > (T. Pratchett)