RE: [IPk] Care?

Emily does do alot of weighing and counting carbs and all her deserts and
treats are relatively sugar free.I think after a few weeks when
everything is over and done we'll have no problem in finding a reily good
healthy regeme but for times like these its reasuring to know that there
are you guys who care and know  what is going on and whom we can reily on
for help and advise.Thanks a million.

Paul & Emily(508 pumper 1month)

>From: "Elizabeth OShea" <email @ redacted> >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: <email @ redacted> >Subject: RE:
[IPk] Care? >Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 10:15:25 +0100 > >Hi Paul - > >It's
important to remember that we're all our own primary care givers. Just
>because the doctor told her to change doesn't mean she has to. If she
>doesn't feel like dealing with the doctor's issues now she should just
>continue doing what she thinks might work and explain it to him the next
>time. He's not there twenty four hours a day, so even with the best
>intentions he doesn't know all the ins and outs. I would strongly advise
>against an insulin change during a period of stress when you know that
>period of stress will be coming to an end. It would be much better to
wait >until after the exams, I think. > >It's really important to take
stress into consideration. I don't know if >stress affects my BGs, but I
do know it affects my eating habits, and that >affects my BGs. At the
moment I'm very busy and I don't have the time I used >to have to think
about my diabets. My results are not what I would like them >to be, but
when I consider that I'm working, studying, trying to renovate >the house
and plant the garden, as well as family and social commitments, >then I'm
doing bloody well! I've also recognised that I don't have the time >to
devote to this now, and I'm just going to do the best I can, and try to
>control some of the dietary factors that give me problems. > >You're
saying that Emily's BGs are swinging high /low. I wonder if perhaps >she
would benefit from reviewing carb counting if she has a minute. Another
>thing that may be helpful is to eat packet foods for the time being.
Why? >Because you can match insulin to the carb amount on the packet, and
there >isn't the variation there is with fresh food. So, if you buy a
frozen >dinner, you can read the packet, see that there's say, 56g of
carb in it, >divide that by the amount of carb per unit of insulin (I get
17g of carb per >unit of insulin) and decide how much insulin to take
based on that. In this >example, I would need to take 56g/17g = 3.3 units
of insulin. The other >thing is, if she's using velosulin, it might help
to try to wait a half >hour between bolusing and eating: that could help
smooth out some peaks. >And, try not to test before the meal bolus is
finished (it would be about 5 >hours for velosulin, I think, and 3-4
hours for humalog). This could help >prevent any overcompensation for
what appears to be a high blood sugar when >you actually have enough meal
bolus left to cover it. > >elizabeth