RE: [IPk] depression

Studies are great, aren't they: they often tell us what everyone already
knows. On any diabetes list I've ever been on, there's always been agreement
that high BGs cause depression, whether because of the frustration of poor
control or because of the physiological effects of the BGs. Yes, it's good
to have the scientific studies to explain why and help to determine the ways
to treat it (for those people who can't seem to understand that you treat it
by stabilising BGs), but I think that much experience across a population
should be taken as an indicator of a link between the two.

Abi, I want to encourage you to write to BMJ. AS a doctor, you will have a
lot more clout in a letter than us lay people would. I had mixed feeling
about that editorial, because it was good to see an endorsement of pumps in
something as influental as BMJ, but it pisses me off the way doctors
discount quality of life. My opinion is that the dept of health should pay
to provide quality of life - which, in our case, means more stable BGs -
because people who are happier with better BGs are more likely to stay
healthy, continue to work and contribute taxes, and reduce or prevent
complications, which is a huge savings to the health services. When I had an
increase in the number of hypos at lower BG levels it was initially a
quality of life issue from a health service point of view, because I never
passed out and I didn't have unawareness. But I saw that a pump would make
things much easier for me, and they have. So I am happier, less likely to
access the health services (and, I suspect, less prone to infection), and
less likely to be in clinic telling the medical people what I think of
them - for which they should be willing to pay a lot! :)