Re: [IPk] Depression

Dear All,

High blood glucose is well known as a cause of depression (aagh, don't
ask me for references).

I think there is a significant difference between depression and
psychological disorders which would make pump use difficult, if not
impossible.  Multiple personality might make things difficult (I can
imagine someone who was fine with the pump in one personality, but
couldn't stand it being attached to them in another).  Someone who
listened voices telling them they didn't need to measure their blood
glucose would have a bit of a job, unless they had 24 hr care, too. (I
just looked at that and thought, what if the voices are not 'in your
head', but your GP or a nurse in the clinic??? - you're not mad if you
hear a health care professional talking to you, are you - but you have
to deal with it in the same way: smile, say 'yes' (or challenge them),
and do what you know is right).

I think the authors of the paper need to be asked to be more specific on
this point.  What diagnoses are they talking about?  Abigail, as 'one of
them', could you write a letter to the journal asking this?  Of course,
being lazy, I haven't checked the article myself ... maybe they do
specify which conditions are contraindications.

If they are talking about clinical depression, are they talking about
depression which is related to diabetes (e.g. which was provoked by
diagnosis or complications?)  Are they talking about patients who are
not responding to treatment?

Me with my cynical hat on, wonders just how large a population sample
they have been working with.  Remember, Dr Pickup has had no induction
programme for new pumpers until this year.  If he is talking about 'his'
patients (and I'm one), one has gone back to mdi now that he or she
understands insulin and carbohydrate counting.  He has some patients, I
understand, who date back ten or more years, to when he was working on
single basal rate pumps.  I do wonder if a single patient who had some
significant mental health problems (very un-pc 'was barking') has
coloured his experience.

I find I got onto his programme because I was having hypo unawareness.
Odd, I was unaware that I was!

Also, although he says that those who want to go pump for 'convenience'
should be allowed to pay for it, he refused to let me do this for two

This all makes me feel quite bad: did I only get a pump because I know
how to play the system?  (Thank you, my Thesis Advisor Panel at York,
who pointed out to me that I really need to take charge of the 'get pat
a pump' campaign, and stop letting Dr Pickup decide what happened to my
life).  I have years of experience as a campaigner and fund-raiser
(albeit in Culture, not Health), which I could use.  I only felt like
giving up.  The grey waters hadn't closed over my head.  I just hope
that I took money away from someone who only wanted a child.

Hilly, don't give up. The DLA application shows me that you may be
depressed, but you are still fighting, and have all the skills necessary
to put yourself in a position where they'll give you a pump.  I agree
totally with Abigail that's what will make the difference. But I have a
non-diabetic friend who has found prozac very helpful - I think it's all
down to understanding the difference between thoughts and processes
which I could, reluctantly, call 'healing' or 'natural' which happen
when we grieve (for ourselves, or others) and those which, by
implication are 'unhealthy' or 'unnatural' (and that's why I'm

I'm sure I'm going to get thrown off this group for political opinions,
but, given your work situation, do consider joining a union, won't you?
They might be able to help get you a pump, too.

Best wishes to all

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)