RE: [IPk] intravenous insulin

>There's probably no reason why it couldn't be done, taking care and
consideration of the above. I'm not advising it !!!!! but there are plenty
of complications arising in hospitals from administrationof iv drugs so it
seems that It may be partially a case of doctors being allowed to do things
that other people aren't!!!

When I was first hospitalised for diabetes, I was on a general ward
initially. When they decided to move me to an iv insulin drip, they had to
move me to critical care, which is the step below intensive care. Apparently
the nurses had to have special training for managing the iv insulin drip.
Once my BGs came down to wherever it was they wanted them, they moved me
back to the general ward and subcutaneous injections.

Thanks, Abigail, for that info. I wasn't too keen to ever have to learn to
inject intraveneously. Now I'm even less keen!