SV: [IPk] The Norwegian system

In Norway we pay 360 pr. prescription every third month for insulin,
syringes/needles, and BG testing equipment. Usually that involves two
prescriptions. When you have paid 1450kr, the stuff is free. The last years
the limit for free equpment has increased around 100kr a year. That's
expensive for a student. (I'm not quite sure about how much that would be in
pounds, but I think one pound is something around 13 kr.).
All though we are lucky enough to get funding for the pump itself. You have to
fullfill (my mail program does not have a spelling check ;) ) some strict
criterias. That means:

1. Repeated insulin shocks.
2. Poorly controlled diabetes, in spite of efforts to improove.
3.Shift work.
4.Beginning kidney damage (microalbuminuria).

Allthough, it's easier to get pumps now than it was. I've never had any
problem with complications, but rollercoaster bloodsugar allmost drove me mad.
I used to have daily hypos, and a hopeless dawn phenomenon. When I asked the
doctor about pump therapy, he was very positive about it. Because poorly
controlled diabetes is kind of unprecise, most diabetics can say they are not
in good control. The doctor has set an HbA1c of 6,1 as "poor control," because
it's not normal for non diabetics.

Anyway there are many doctors who don't know much about pumps, and stick to
those stupid rules. Personally I think our motivation is FAR more important
than HbA1c, duration of diabetes and age.

A weird thing is that diabetes supplies (including pumps and pump supplies)
are free in Sweeden.