Re: [IPk] Steel vs. plastic/teflon

Hi Ingrid,

I've been using the steel needle for a year now (with the Minimed 508). I
started off on the teflon but the cost began to scare me a bit!

I use the bent needle *without* the 'wings', and fix it to my skin using 3M
Micropore tape. It works really well as long as I clean the needle when
re-inserting. I reinsert every two to three days. Cleaning the needle
involves swabbing it, waiting ten minutes, swabbing again, then "squirting"
it with insulin from a nova pen (or you could push some through with the
pump cartridge - then you have to prime of course). A bit of a business, but
soon becomes habit like most aspects of pumping. Of course you could choose
not to reuse the needle, but you wouldn't save much in cost.

> 1. Are steel needles more uncomfortable to wear?
I find them almost as comfortable than the teflon - most of the time I can't
feel what side I've inserted.

> 2. Wil they cause more skin damagen than the teflon "needles"?
In my experience - that's important - as long as I swab the needle I don't
get any infection, nor site reaction. Over long term - who knows?!

The real advantage is the financial saving  which is substantial, and
possibly the ability to remove and reinsert the needle (e.g. for sport /
swimming, etc). No significant disadvantages, apart from *sometimes* being
*slighlty* less comfortable.

Again, all this is of course my own experience, and others may have had very
different experiences.

Paul Kennedy