Re: [IPk] things people don't like about their pumps

In message <email @ redacted>, Diana Maynard
<email @ redacted> writes
>> What I've found is that as I turn the lever into the lock position, I can
>> also push it gently forward against the cartridge plunger, and push out a
>> small amount of insulin from the end of the tubing - if that makes sense.
>> When I do this, I need to bolus no more than 1 unit to take up the slack in
>> the system.
>> John
>I do that too, but I generally need between 3-4 units prime even so. But i just
>go and do something else while it's priming. Get dressed, if it's in the
>morning. Make a cup of tea. Whatever. I have a large stack of 5-minute jobs
>that always need doing!
I am beginning to wonder about my training - first, John's post: isn't
there a certain unpredictability about how much is needed to prime,
which results in you sometimes getting a bit of insulin, and sometimes
not?  Or are you not particularly sensitive, so the odd 0.3 or whatever
won't harm (me, it will send down a couple of mmol - and now I seem to
be living in the 5-7 range for a few hours a day, that's the difference
between the 5-7 and hypo).  But I like the idea of pushing the little
levers up a bit, and only priming a unit or so.  I'll try that once I've
achieved more stability, and can be sure that any wobbling is not due to
the innovative priming!

On the 'go and do something for 5 mins' business - my life too is full
of stuff for five mins - from ironing to reading - but I was taught to
keep as clean as possible (I feel a bit guilty even for touching my
stomach to remind myself where the hole is in the underneath piece of
sticky film).

My bg averages continue to drop: fortnightly average is now 9.1 ...

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 1m+, and caught herself beating herself up because 'the
only thing I achieved in April was a haircut')
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)