[IPk] Re: carrying the pump

> I currently place the pump in the left pocket of my trousers. When
> wearing
> clothes with no pocket, I put it in my bra.
> The good thing about the pocket is the good and quick access to the
> pump. And
> I don't notice it beeing there. The drawback is that other people
> easily can
> see something in my pocket and a little bit of the tubing sticking
> out.
> When wearing it in my bra, I notice the pump all the time - as a
> constant
> reminder of my diabetes. On hot days I sweat a lot under the pump.
> That leads
> to itchy skin and a stinking pump. The only good thing is that other
> people
> can't see it.
> I'm curious about how you do it. If you keep it visible to others:
> How do they
> react? (I don't feel to feminine when carrying the pump in the belt,
> because
> people think it's a hi tech cell phone or pager).
> BTW: How do you do it during the summer? On the beach for instance?
> Do you
> leave the pump at home/your hotel and switch to injections, or do you
> keep it
> on? How can one avoid cooking the insulin in the heat?
I carry my pump in a pocket if I have a convenient one, if not either
in a belt case which I bought from Disetronic - small and discrete, not
a large case like the Minimed one, which is fine if I am wearing a
loose blouse or sweater which covers it, or else in my bra - the pump
is so small (I don't put it in a case, a friend said that to avoid
possible  skin irritation, she puts the pump inside a thin soft baby
sock before putting it in her bra) that although I do place it at one
side or the other - whichever side the current site is on, it is not
noticeable to the public at large (but I agree that this might not be
so for women with very small breasts), and after the first few minutes,
I stop even remembering that it is there - if it is uncomfortable at
first, I change the angle at which it lies.
Where I live, the summers are very hot and long (by British standards)
but I have never had problems with frying the pump or insulin.  The
problems I do have relate more to the body doing unpredictable things
when coping with strong heat - and that sort of thing is so much easier
to deal with on the pump than on injections - I certainly would not
consider switching to injections in the heat.  I agree that where to
put the pump could be problematic on the beach - if it is only for
brief periods, perhaps you could temporarily disconnect, and bolus when

Do You Yahoo!?