Re: [IPk] How do you carry your pumps?

>I currently place the pump in the left pocket of my trousers. When wearing
>clothes with no pocket, I put it in my bra.
>The good thing about the pocket is the good and quick access to the pump. And
>I don't notice it beeing there. The drawback is that other people easily can
>see something in my pocket and a little bit of the tubing sticking out.

I started pumping in winter, and wore my pump on my belt. As I was usually
wearing a jumper or jacket, that was ok. Then spring came, and I was just
wearing a shirt, and I got bored of everyone saying "Hey John what's that
on your belt?". I know the Americans think it looks like a pager, but in
Europe nobody uses a pager! We have mobile phones.

So I put the pump in my pocket too. No need for a leather case or clip.
I've cut a small hole in the lining of all my pockets - quite high up but
out of sight - and I thread the tubing through the hole. So no tubing is
seen at all. Obviously you need to use a detachable infusion set for this
method. And which ever side my infusion set is on, I use that pocket (and
glucose tablets in the other pocket - would you believe I am organised? :-)
And since my pump has a clock on it, I use the pump as my watch as well.

Occasionally I am in a situation with my work where I can't use my pocket.
In these cases I put it in my underpants. Well why not? Women use the bra,
men use the underpants! It's out of the way :o) I have to be more discreet
when bolusing - a 508 remote control (which I don't have) would definitely
come in useful there.

>BTW: How do you do it during the summer? On the beach for instance? Do you
>leave the pump at home/your hotel and switch to injections, or do you keep it
>on? How can one avoid cooking the insulin in the heat?

There's a lot of talk about cool packs and things. Personally I can't see
why they are necessary. If you keep the pump next to your skin and under a
piece of clothing, your skin will keep the pump cool enough. It's the same
in winter if you are skiing: keep the pump and tubing next to your skin to
stop it freezing.

>(sorry about my English..., I could need some practise ;)

Your English is better than my Norwegian :-)

mailto:email @ redacted