FW: [IPk] hypers

Hi!  I've just read this and have to agree wholeheartedly.  I've only been
on the pump for 1.5 weeks now but the level of control it has given me is
fantastic.  Each bg I can make a decision about where I'd like to be
sugar-wise, and if I'm not there, a quick bolus and I'm soon back on track.
So far (touch wood) I've only been hypo once and that was on the day after I
started putting insulin through the pump.  Other than that with a few
exceptions I've been getting bg's of 5 - 7 which I'm ecstatic!  Considering
a typical bg for me on MDI was 12-16 I wish I'd started pumping years ago!

Best Regards

Liz

If a doctor gave me advice like that, I would report the doctor to the
relevant authorities. We pay doctors (directly or indirectly) to advise us,
and if the doctor does not understand the basic principals of pump therapy
- that you can correct a high bg with a precise amount of insulin - that
doctor should not be advising a pump patient.

    Doctors are professionals whose job it is to

Obviously Emily is the person to decide whether she knows better than her
doctor - but it sounds to me as if she does!

Correcting a high with a precise amount of insulin is a basic pump skill -
it's what I do all the time. Obviously you've also got to try and work out
why it went high, and try and stop it happening the next time. Not always
possible, I know - that's life. But tweaking your bg as you go along is one
of the strengths of pump therapy.

John

--
mailto:email @ redacted