[IPk] news on medscape: subcutaneous glucagon use for mild hypoglycaemia in children

I thought this link might interest a lot of people. You might have to join
medscape before viewing it:

Glucagon is usually given as an intramuscular injection in severe
hypoglycaemia. The study looked at using subcutaneous injections (this is
how we diabetics usually get our insulin) of smaller doses of glucagon in
children with gastroenteritis who can't eat and children who are refusing
carbohydrate. Apparently it worked very well at maintaining blood sugars.

Those of you with children might want to bring this article to the attention
of your consultants. I've seen a number of statistics on how long it takes
information to get from a study into clinical practise. The highest figure
I've seen so far is 17 years (!), but the average seems to be ten. And this
seems like it could be something very useful.