Re: [IPk] Bad treatment by school of new pump user

I really do feel for you. There are many of us on the list who have gone
through childhood with diabetes many years ago and suffered insults or
some form of discrimination and we should be shocked that they are still
going on but as you have stated this is still happening. Teachers are in
a no win situation their union does not permit them being used for any
medical intervention at all and  they would not have a leg to stand on if
anything happened to your son due damage to the pump and the consequences
to your son. Everyone is afraid of legislation nowadays and that is the
problem you are up against . Don't blame the teachers it is not their
fault it is the society we live in. There is a similar case locally where
a little girl has a peanut allergy and the teachers will not use the pen
provided to administer adrenaline despite  them being
taught how to administer it by the scool nurse. I suppose you could
always try your MP Carmel

>From: "MCQUILLIAM" <email @ redacted> >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: <email @ redacted> >Subject:
[IPk] Bad treatment by school of new pump user >Date: Tue, 1 May 2001
23:22:32 +0100 > >My son is 12 years old and has been on the pump for 5
weeks now. He looks the >best he has for years and feels great, he is
thoroughly enjoying the freedom >the pump has given him and the fact he
can eat what he wants when he wants. >He feels, he says like he has found
a mini cure. We are delighted for him- or >should be. There is a downside
to this fantastic pump - his school. They >have banned him from doing any
form of physical activity, despite my >assurances and those of the DSN. I
have been to the school to see the Head of >Year on three occasions and
been assured there is not now a problem and that >my son will be allowed
to do PE. Each week for four weeks he has gone into PE >changed and been
told, not diplomatically, that it is not safe for him to do >PE with a
canula in his stomach. > >The consequences of the above has been that my
son didnt arrive at school last >Friday and the police had to be called
in along with numerous friends and >security guards searching for him.
WHY? He has in his words been made to >feel like a freak and not normal
any more and he couldnt stand everyone >looking at him as if he had
something wrong with him. How badly the ignorance >of a few people can
impact another. The school, hopefully, will begin to >change their minds
now they have been made to realise the consequences of >their actions and
how badly they have handled the whole situation - Lets hope >so for the
next lucky child who gets to use this wonderful piece of equipment >and
they should enjoy the freedom from injections and strict regime normally