Re: [IPk] Bad treatment by school of new pump user

Hi Jeanette

I have a six year old who has had diabetes for two years.  I am on this list
because I wanted to find out about pumping with a view to Sasha going on a
pump in the future.  I totally sympathise with  what you and your son are
going through regarding the schools attitude to his pumping.

I have had problems with Sasha school and doing blood tests.   She has been
unsettled this year.  It may be something to do with her being in a
different class than her twin sister (non DM).  Anyway nearly everyday she
is complaining of being dizzy (she gets being low and high confused) and the
teacher would just give her biscuits or glucose tablets.  Then she was
coming home with raised bg because she was probably not low, but high.
Anyway this was happening more and more so we were having to go up to check
all the time.  They won't do blood tests, so in the school holidays I have
had to teach her to do her own blood tests.  Sometimes she does them ok
sometimes it's not so good.  The school then said yes it would be OK if she
does it at school in the classroom.  So I spent quite sometime typing out
instructions as too what to do and what to give and when depending on the
BGs.   Put everything in a spare lunch box labelled it up.  Then they
changed their minds and she is to have someone watch her do the test but
they cannot help her and now she can't do in the classroom she has to go to
another building to do it!!   Which means more time out the classroom and
more fuss.   Although we went in to school this week to teach the staff who
are going to check Sasha's meter the teacher is still giving her glucose
tablets etc without asking for a test.  I despair at ever getting things
right.  She moves up to the junior school in Sept.  It is on a different
site and run separately so we have to go all through this again.

I am glad that he has found that the pump gives him a new outlook on DM.
It must have been really frightening for you when your son went missing.   I
hope the school will now take things seriously and will  not treat him
Best wishes to your son and I hope he keeps his positive attitude.