[IPk] Re: driving licence

I have lived out of the UK too long to understand what is meant by the
different forms which were referred to in the previous email, but have
another possibly related question.

For the first time since diagnosis of diabetes, I am likely to have the
opportunity to drive in the UK during a visit we plan for July/August.
I have a UK drivers' licence (acquired many years ago, long before
diabetes) which is still valid.
Does anyone know what the law is for someone like me?  Can I drive on
this licence, or would it be illegal and/or invalidate any insurance I
would have (through a car rental company)in the unfortunate event of
any insurance claim being necessary?  Am I obliged to disclose to the
DVLC that I now have diabetes and use insulin?  do I have to get a
letter from a doctor(or fill out a special form?) to say that I am well
enough to drive?  if I do have to do something like that, could I do it
in advance, or would it have to be signed by a doctor currently
resident and practicing in England, or at least by a doctor who
qualified in England (I know plenty of those here)?
Otherwise I might be able to get an international licence based on the
licences I have from one of the other countries I have lived in, where
I was advised that it is not required to disclose the information that
I now have diabetes.
Thanks very much in advance for any information anyone may have.

Do You Yahoo!?