Re: [IPk] And this from the Guardian -Islet Transplants

>I've read a lot about double kidney/pancreas transplants in the JDF
>magazine Countdown ( selection of articles at http://www.jdf.org/countdown
>). If you suffer total kidney failure, and require a kidney transplant,
>you'll need to be on anti-rejection drugs come-what-may. So many centres in
>the US now offer a pancreas transplant as well at the same time -
>effectively curing you of diabetes.

yes, this is what I was talking about. Sorry if I didn't make it clear.
Basically, it's very unlikely that they'll do a pancreas transplant unless
you need a kidney transplant as well, precisely because of the
anti-rejection drugs. Which is what leads me to believe that the
side-effects of anti-rejection drugs are not to be taken lightly.

So, the new "cure" must offer at least one of two things to be of much
use. The operation is easier, *and* there's a  lesser chance of rejection,
thereby eliminating the need for drugs with such side-effects. Or, the
operation is easier, *and* the new anti-rejection drugs are better.