Re: [IPk] post-meal BGs

On Thu, 18 May 2000, you wrote:
>well, you know me and my carb counting, Di.  My target BG is 5.5 mmol, and
>if I'm not there or close, I adjust for it.  Allowing, of course, for
>unused insulin.

I actually don't apply the unused insulin rule, unless I haven't eaten for
several hours and am bringing down a high Bg unrelated to food, because the
"unused food" always cancels out the unused insulin.

 >I'm still sorting out
my basal profiles, but it seems that I should always >be able to wake with
a BG between 4 and 6.  That's pretty amazing!

I'm impressed, Elizabeth.
My morning BGs are still the most unpredictable. I can probably get a
normal BG about 75 percent of the time, but sometimes it just doesn't
For the last couple of weeks I've been waking up to Bgs between 3.5 and
7.5, which I'm quite happy with, and then this morning for no apparent
reason I woke up to 15 mmol/l. it all came back to normal in a couple of
hours. I just put it down to unexplainable/unpreventable things.
For example, if I happen to have a nightmare in the night, I'm sure that
would send my BG skyrocketing, as any kind of stress does. Now that's
hardly preventable. I'm not sure if there's a direct relationship, but I'm
looking into that. I certianly had a bad dream last night. But it's a bit
of a chicken and egg thing......