Re: [IPk] And this from the Guardian -Islet Transplants

On Thu, 18 May 2000, you wrote:
>>The additional information in this article is that sucess is dependent on
>>the use of a new anti-rejection drug Rapamune, for which the anticipated
>>cost will be 5000 per year per patient.

I'd be interested to know what the side-effects are, as that always seems
to be abig problem. They've been very quiet about that, apart from saying
that there are "few side-effects". They may be small in number, but that
doesn't stop them being serious. Given that the people who were treated had
extremely poorly controlled diabetes, it's not surprising they have a
better quality of life, but could that be said for everyone??? The current
anti-rejection drugs appear to offer patients who've received kidney and
pancreas transplants little improvement in quality of life over life with
DM (aside from the kidney problems, that is).
DiO