RE: [IPk] iv correction bolus

While I agree with John that properly trained patients ought to be able to give a couple of units intravenously, it is dangerous practice and one that I cannot see being approved by the UK medical profession. If a mistake was made it could be fatal and where would the responsibility lie?

There has been a case where mother and father, both trained nurses, having read the insulin data sheets, discovered  that the only way to achieve 'good' control in their child was to intravenously inject a small amount of short acting insulin at a certain time of day. It worked for months until the clinic staff accidentally discovered what they were doing. All hell let lose and social workers were called in. The result was catastrophic for the family concerned. While this was a child, it demonstrates the seriousness with which this was viewed.

Jenny Hirst

Unrecognized Data: application/ms-tnef