Re: [IPk] post-exercise spikes

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Diana Maynard <email @ redacted>
 : email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Date : mardi 2 mai 2000 12:54
Objet : [IPk] post-exercise spikes

>Some of you may remember I posted last week about the problem of huge BG
>sopikes after strenuous and prolonged walking.
>I spent some more time walking in the Peak  District this weekend, and nd
>managed to get my BGs almost spot on throughout, so I thought Id share my
>solution with you.

Your courage in experimenting with dosage to handle the post exercise
problem is to be admired. At age 20 I might have had the guts to do it, but
not now.

The phenomenon you refer to of increased insulin requirement in the
"recuperation " period is something I have long been aware of as a result of
prolonged increased physical activity (such as a long walk or hours of
gardening). Such activity certainly has a different effect than a short
burst such as a half-hour run or a work-out.

I have asked my consultant about it and his response is that these spikes
are caused by the insulin supply being reduced too much during the exercise
period and that no athlete needs "no insulin" during exercise.

Your experiment in increasing your dosage before the end of a prolonged
exercise period would seem to support this theory, but also indicates to me
that there are other metabolic changes which are worthy of investigation,
including how variable is the effect of a particular type or quantity of
insulin depending on one's activity level. Is Humalog quite as quick to act
(and to stop) as we are told?