Re: [IPk] Insulin requirements pump vs pre-pump

On Mon, 01 May 2000, you wrote:
>Just out of curiosity, one of the main attractions to me of a pump is the
>possibility of reducing insulin intake and therefore also reducing
>bloating/weight and hopefully BP meds.
>I'd appreciate some feedback as to what you have found pre and post pump on
>this issue.

Hi Rhoda
Pre-pump I was taking between 50 and 65 units a day (around 16 units
Insulatard am and 18pm, and the rest in  Humalog).
 I now take between 30 and 40 units a
day. I have a pretty high basal rate of 1.1 during the day, 1.2 at night,
and 1.4 in the early hours of the morning, although this gets reduced by at
least half when I'm exercising.
My typical meal bolus is 3 units, whereas before it was 6-8 units, and
that's eating the same things, and using the same insulin (Humalog) as
Obviously the insulin is being absorbed much more efficiently on the pump.

I think you will also find that low-carbing is much easier to deal with on
the pump.