Re: [IPk] pump and monitor

The rationale for not showing the glucose readings on the screen every 5
mins is because we need to be sure that both the medical community and
people with diabetes understand how to respond to these readings with
appropriate insulin doses and because we don't want people to become
obsessed with chasing glucose values .

Ideally when using a pump [ or using MDI ] it is best not to respond to
highs or lows but to prevent them from occuring by knowing your bodies
response to exercise , stress , meals , sleep etc.
The sensor can be worn during these activities and the responding glucose
values understood so that you can calculate your basals and boluses more
accurately in future .

When the sensor is finally linked up to a pump there shouldn't be problems
with timing of insulin activity as the sensor will pick up a trend and
correct it before the high or low occurs .Also the lispro [humalogue ] peak
is fast and it has a reliable action which certainly makes lfe much easier
to manage than with the longer acting insulins.

We've certainly got lots more work to do and it isn't going to be easy but
we are dedicated to making  this thing work .
The first step is FDA approval of the 3-4 day continuous monitor and this
will be announced on the Minimed web site as soon as we have the news .

see www.minimed.com