Re: [IPk] Glasgow conference

John Davis wrote:
> During the 3 days I spent at the conference my overwhelming impression of
> the medical professionals, was that they did not understand pump therapy at
> all, nor, to a large degree did they understand diabetes.
> Mainly they do not understand carbohydrate counting or the effect that c/h
> have on blood sugar levels. Furthermore, I am not convinced that they want
> to. Their remedy for "high" or "lows" seems to be, "well, just
> increase/decrease your dose by two units". No questions are ever asked as to
> why you are high or low.

My hunch is that the British diabetes establishment changes direction
about every 5 years, leaving everyone totally confused about priorities
and strategies. I was taught to carb count in 1977 when I joined the
club. Then the tune was changed at some point, and it became eat
healthily and regularly, lots of fruit and veg and fibre, and everything
will be fine. No need to carb count.

The insulin pump, bg testing and Humalog turns everything upside down
again. Nurses (and doctors) aren't all intelligent. They just do their
job. It will take a gargantuane effort to make them realise that once
you have a correctly set basal, you must take insulin in direct
proportion to carb, with a correction factor built in. It requires a
total shift in mentality and strategy. We live with it day in day out.
We think for ourselves. We are creative. The medical establishment is
not, except for small pockets. We must keep on evangelising, and not be
put off when we encounter stupidity and intransigence.

mailto:email @ redacted