Re: [IPk] Glasgow conference

Hi John

This seems to contrast with the view that I had last year from the IoW
Conference on Patient Empowerment.

There was a lot of encouraging talk about empowering the patient to take
control and the healthcare professionals providing the appropriate
information, support and backup to enable patients to do that where it is
appropriate to do so - basically to try and form a partnership.  Also a
realisation that the "prescriptive" approach that many were taught in Med
school does not really apply to diabetes.

I guess there is still a long way to go.

>They do not seem to want us to be in control of our own diabetes, THEY want
>to control us. They seem not to trust us to make our own decisions. If you
>are on the Pen, you are told to have so many units for breakfast, so many
>for lunch, so many for dinner and so many overnight, but they never mention
>how many carbohydrates to eat at each meal, and you are told never to adjust
>you insulin dose by more than two units at any one time. I was told by MANY
>nurses that diabetics won't count c/h's. No wonder some of us get

Diabetes Insight & Support
mailto:email @ redacted
There are No Problems only Solutions