Re: [IPk] Update on continuing occlusion alarms saga

Hindi and Belinda,

Later today I will follow up the US pump list suggestion.

 Immunologists, as I am sure you know, are about as plentiful on the NHS as
hen's teeth! In this region it us at least a 2 year waiting time for an
appointment. Given that my current consultant asserts that people on pumps
cannot experience hypos, I am dubious as to referral from that route.

I won't give up however.

Thanks

Rhoda

Sent from my iPad

 > On 28 Mar 2014, at 11:24, Belinda Washington <email @ redacted>
wrote:

> It makes sense for there to be a genetic component.
>
> I would hope that your team could refer you to an immunologist or enlist one
> for support. Autoimmune conditions & severe allergies and anaphylaxis
> anecdotally seem like common co-morbidities (or my friends are cornering the
> market).
>
>> On 28 Mar 2014, at 11:11, Rhoda Martin <email @ redacted> wrote:
>>
>> Think all options covered and nothing has resolved the issue. Pump replaced,
>> different Lot numbers of sets (Teflon and Stainless Steel), cartridges,
> insulin,
>> new sites yet conclusions still occurring. Can be as many as 3 in a day.
>>
>> Technique reviewed and said to be okay.
>>
>> Occlusions only occur during basal not bolus.
>>
>> Clutching at straws both Animas and I are wondering whether my body is
> mounting
>> a ridiculously powerful response to the presence of a 'foreign body' i.e.
>> cannula of whatever type.
>>
>> I developed antibodies to human analogue insulins and reverted to using pork
>> neutral without any issues.
>>
>> However my eldest sister also has a wacky immune system that over-reacts to
>> common naturally occurring chemicals in food which causes mega anaphylactic
>> shock syndrome. I'm starting to wonder whether there may be a genetic
> component
>> in this hyper-sensitive autoimmune system present in both of us?
>>
 >> But how do I check whether this is the issue? Since the pump has been
changed
>> rule out pump issues.
>>
>> Any thought on this anyone?
>>
 >> By the way for newbies, Animas has never come across this before.
conclusions